Open Government Seminar
When: Friday, June 22, 2018
Where: Marriott Marquis Houston
- 9-10 A.M: Social Media and Government Accountability in the Age of Fake News. Experts will discuss the responsibilities of government officials when posting on social media, including the deletion, correction, and preservation of such posts as well as their availability upon request under applicable law.
- 10 – 11 A.M: Emerging Issues in Open Government – A Media Perspective. News media representatives on the front lines of the open government debate will discuss the most recent challenges to the public’s right to know.
Can’t make it out? Stream it live on Facebook at facebook.com/statebaroftexas
Open Government Seminar
When: Tuesday, June 19, 2018
Where: Loftin Student Center, San Antonio College
- 8:30 – 9:45 A.M: Texas Public Information Act training presented by the Texas Attorney General’s Office from 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. This free session will include the basics of the TPIA and recent issues relating to it.
- 10 – 11 A.M: TPIA Cost Rules Training. This training session focuses on the cost rules associated with the Texas Public Information Act. The Texas Attorney General’s Office will lead this free session from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- 11:30 A.M. – 12:45 P.M: Texas Open Meeting Act. This session on the Texas Open Meetings Act is from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., presented by attorney Tom Williams. The session is free, but optional donations are welcome. Attendees may bring their own lunch. There is a food court in the building.
- 1:00 – 3:15 P.M.: First Amendment Institute. The First Amendment Institute presented by the FOI Foundation of Texas is designed for journalists. This training covers the basics of press freedom, libel and other timely First Amendment issues in journalism.
Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas Open Government Seminars
The Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas will hold Open Government Seminars on April 17 in Arlington, and May 1 in Houston. The seminars address timely topics related to the Texas Public Information Act and Texas Open Meetings Act and include a legislative update on recent changes to the laws.
For background and registration information, visit FOIFT.ORG.
March 29 – A Conversation On Texas’ Public Information Act
The Texas Public Policy Foundation, the Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas, the Texas Press Association, and the Texas Association of Broadcasters will hold a forum on Thursday, March 29, at 11:30, detailing recent developments which have significantly reduced Texan’s ability to access information about how their money is being spent. Read more about this key Sunshine event here.
March 27 – Texas House Review of Open Records Laws
The House Committee on Government Transparency & Operations will hold a hearing on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 and consider Texas’ open meeting laws and related government decision-making policies.
COMMITTEE: Government Transparency & Operation
TIME & DATE: 10:00 AM, Tuesday, March 27, 2018